Saturday, May 22, 2010

Here, put this bandit hat on.

Fantastic Mr. Fox

One of my favorite movies of 2009, Fantastic Mr. Fox is one of the most adorable and pleasant films I've ever seen. Reactions while watching this cartoon will not be internal; facial expressions will be expressive and their will be audible amusement. I was really nervous about this film before I saw it, because director Wes Anderson's previous film, The Darjeeling Limited, was abysmal. Furthermore, the stop-motion animation was not how I pictured Fantastic Mr. Fox to look. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. Fantastic Mr. Fox is so cussing good!

This film is absolutely charming and delightful. I was grinning from ear to ear the entire time. It is a feast for the eyes. The colors are bold and beautiful, very autumn-like. The landscape is vast and far reaching, the individual hairs on the characters blow in the wind naturally. The film is utterly delicious and hypnotic to look at. The animators use cotton for smoke, cellophane paper for water, the clothes are hand sewn, I could go on and on. As a viewer, I really appreciated the time, effort, and energy that went into making Fantastic Mr. Fox look just right. No detail is left unconsidered, Anderson and his team thought about everything. While I love Pixar and computer-animated films as much as the next audience member, it's great to look at something different.

Wes Anderson is a modern day auteur, and his expected touches are present in Fantastic Mr. Fox. The music is carefully selected and original score is fitting. Anderson took the original book as a spring board and added his typical witty, sharp, deep, and meaningful dialogue. He creates realistic characters out of puppets. Anderson clearly worked closely with animators and added his touch to every element. Anderson creates unique and memorable characters who march the beat of their own drum in all his films, and Fantastic Mr. Fox is no exception.

Anderson keeps the voices all in his family. George Clooney and Meryl Streep are the only two big name newcomers. Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, and Michael Gambon are all Anderson alum. Adrian Brody and Mario Batali even make cameos. I heard that Anderson had all the actors record in the same room together, as opposed to doing each voice on their own. This definitely created a comradery that is felt when watching the film. George Clooney IS Mr. Fox; sly, charming and fun. Jason Schwartzman IS Ash; whiny, desperately trying to be something he isn't.

This is supposed to be a kid's movie, but it's pretty adult. There's smoking, implied cursing (anytime the characters would use a curse word, the word is replaced by "cuss"), and language and humor only an adult would understand. But the visuals are so stunning and colorful and there is physical humor that kids will love.

I really liked Up, it was a great film, animated or otherwise. I understand why it won Best Animated Film but I really think Fantastic Mr. Fox should've won. The story cleaver and the dialogue witty, a film both kids and adults would like. Furthermore, the animation took an attention to detail and a vision that a Pixar animated film doesn't need. I love love love Fantastic Mr. Fox.

F. Murray Abraham in Amadeus

This movie is a masterpiece with amazing performances, F. Murray Abraham as Antonio Salieri being one of them. He really creates a memorable character. His performance is completely believable. His uptight mannerisms and sneering convey his jealousy and disdain while eyes convey how angry he is at himself that he isn't as talented as Mozart. He even delivers his line in an emotionless way, which speaks volumes to his character. I saw this movie when I was young and I've never forgotten it. Abraham's performance was spellbinding and deservedly won the Oscar,



Netflix


Amistad-I've always wanted to see this. I have no idea why.
Sweet Home Alabama-Someone told me I should see this. I love a romantic comedy as much as the next girl.
My Left Foot-Netflix Instant. DDL won his first Oscar for this. I love DDL.

No comments:

Post a Comment