Sunday, May 9, 2010

Did I ask you to be his psychiatrist? No. I asked you to fucking kill him.

In Bruges

I am absolutely ashamed to admit I did not like In Bruges the first time I saw it. The trailers marketed it as a laugh out loud action comedy from acclaimed Irish playwright Martin McDonagh. In Bruges has a soul I rediscover and learn more about after each viewing. The story of two hit men, Ray (Colin Farrell) and Ken (Brendan Gleeson) has become one of my favorite movies.

One must actively watch this film; you can't multi-task with In Bruges. McDonagh, who also wrote the screenplay, brilliantly intermixes humor with action and heart. The emotions are powerful and the humor is priceless. There's the European, understated wit and even blatant, more American-style jokes, like when Ray, speaking honestly, offends a couple of overweight American tourists. The first half especially utilizes hilarious dialogue, jokes and charm. The character of Jimmy is an absolute riot. I can't believe I didn't find In Bruges funny upon first viewing. I'll forever kick myself.

The second half of the film is much darker, but In Bruges never loses the heartfelt and intelligent dialogue or the heart the first half has. There is a sadness sprinkled throughout the entire film, because of what Ray did to get him and Ken sent to Bruges by crime boss Harry (Ralph Fiennes). The last ten minutes are especially heartbreaking, and despite In Bruges having many hilarious moments, the film is one of the saddest I think I've ever seen. I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't seen it, but I don't think Ray gets what he wants in the end. Both half contrast and play off each other well.

The acting in In Bruges is top top top. Colin Farrell turns in one of his better performances, balancing the smug and whiny with the grieving and conflicted. Farrell really shows his range. He has great comedic timing! Brendon Gleeson is great as usual. He, again, is very understated and thoughtful in his choices, creating a father figure in Ken. Ralph Fiennes steals the show in his scenes. His dialogue and delivery is hysterical.

This film makes me want to travel. Ray complains about Bruges the entire time but I'm on Ken's side: Bruges looks like a fairytale; the city has charm, romance, and history. The film is shot beautifully and really accentuates Bruges' enchanting architecture. I would really like to stop here on a future excursion. Setting In Bruges at Christmastime and using lots of lights and Christmas decorations only adds to Bruges' allure.

The music is one of the film's best elements. Carter Burwell composed yet another beautiful and haunting score. The songs really fit the theme of atonement, the charming yet sad characters and the delightful city of Bruges. Burwell never disappoints in his scores.

I cannot speak higher of this film. It's a great debut for McDonagh, a crowning achievement for Farrell and an all around brilliant piece of work. In Bruges isn't missing anything.

Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde


Reese Witherspoon at her cutest and honestly one of her strongest roles. She embodies the character of Elle Woods and infuses her with a strong spirit. She connects with her audience and gets you to cheer with her when she succeeds and hold her hand when she fails. Witherspoon plays ditsy, not dumb Elle with an intelligence and grace few current young actresses can pull off. She's strong, independent, and ambitious. Witherspoon turns Elle Woods into a good role model for young women.


Netflix


Children of Men
-Brilliant film.
Crazy Heart-I'm really not interested in seeing this, but I feel like I need to see why Jeff Bridges beat Colin Firth
Wall-e-Netflix Instant. My favorite Pixar film. Must see again.

No comments:

Post a Comment