Sunday, January 17, 2010

Golden Globes


Just finished watching the Golden Globes. Usually the Golden Globes bend to my will and produce outcomes I deem acceptable. This year, not so much. Here are my thoughts on categories I care about.

Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique in Precious
She totes deserved this win. This is a very strong category this year, all brilliant performances. Mo'Nique for the win. This performance was terrifying.

Best Supporting Actor in a TV Series: John Lithgow in Dexter
As much as I love Michael Emerson, John Lithgow was brilliant as the Trinity Killer. Dexter doesn't get enough love.

Best Animated Feature: Up
To be fair, I haven't seen Up yet. I'm sure it's great. But Fantastic Mr. Fox was beautifully filmed and incredibly entertaining.

Best Actor in a TV Series, Drama: Michael C. Hall in Dexter
FINALLY!!!! Thank goodness he's on the road to recovery.

Best Actress in a Comedy Film: Meryl Streep in Julie & Julia
Marion Cotillard was the only good thing about Nine and she was great. But if Meryl was gonna win, I wish she'd won for It's Complicated.

Best Screenplay for a Motion Picture: Up in the Air
I'm so glad at the Oscars they have adapted and original. The writing categories are gonna be tough to pick. I'd be happy for Up in the Air to take adapted at the Oscars, but PLEASE (500) Days of Summer for original.

Best Drama Series: Mad Men
Mad Men, I love you. But where was Lost this year?

Best Supporting Actor: Christophe Waltz in Inglourious Basterds
Least shocking win of the evening. This brilliant, sexy man deserves everything he will get.

Best Director: James Cameron for Avatar
Yes, you managed this epic picture, which I'm sure was a challenge. But it's 2010 and a woman STILL hasn't won Best Director. Katheryn Bigelow deserved this.

Best Film, Comedy/Musical: The Hangover
Yes I loved The Hangover, it was high-larious. But (500) Days of Summer, please!

Best Actress in a Drama Film: Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side
Okay, I guess I really need to see this now. Sandra is cleaning up. But Carey Mulligan was a revelation. To be fair, this girl has a long career ahead of her. But she was magnificent in An Education. I'll be a little heartbroken if she doesn't get the Oscar.

Best Actor in a Comedy Film: Robert Downey Jr in Sherlock Holmes
I disliked Sherlock Holmes but RDJ was entertaining. I'm happy he won just so I could hear his great speech and I love the guy. Joseph Gordon Levitt didn't stand a chance, but I would've liked to have seen him win. Or Michael Stuhlbarg for A Serious Man. That film hasn't gotten the love it deserves.

Best Actor in a Drama Film: Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart
The Wrestler with country music. I've seen The Wrestler and it's amazing, I don't need to see it in another form. George Clooney was great, he deserved the win. Colin Firth was a revelation, he deserves every award for an actor this year. This is a category I am particularly irked about. I will only see this on Netflix if Jeff Bridges wins the Oscar. Please God no.

Best Picture, Drama: Avatar
SERIOUSLY??? I haven't even seen Avatar and I'm fairly positive they were all better than this. This will be the next movie I see in theaters. I need to see what all the hype is about. Shoulda been Up in the Air or Inglourious Basterds.

2 comments:

  1. Having seen all three movies you mention in the Best Picture category, all I can say is that I don't envy the HFPA or, next month, the Academy voters. Having to choose among these three is like comparing apples with oranges with bananas. I'd have been happy to see any of the three win. Although Avatar is not flawless -- check out my blog to see what my quibble was -- it was a mind-blowing experience on the scale that Fantasia was for 30's filmgoers, The Jazz Singer was for 20's filmgoers, and Star Wars was for 70's filmgoers. It truly pushes the envelope of filmmaking, and is a film viewing experience like no other up till now. I would urge you to see it, and I'll be interested to hear your thoughts afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And for the record, I thought Fergie was very good in Nine, too. I'm glad the HFPA pretty much ignored it, though.

    ReplyDelete