Thursday, January 21, 2010

Do you think he was just some kind of substitute for real love?

A Single Man

Did Tom Ford wake up one morning and say, "I think I'll make a movie today"? When I heard he was making his directorial debut with a feature, I raised my eyebrows. He is notorious for having a very large ego, and I figured this was just another way to stroke it. FALSE. A Single Man was a moving love story that turned out one of the best (and one of my favorite) male performances this year. Ford has an artistic vision and it completely translates into cinema. Not only did he direct, but he wrote the screenplay. Ford is a jack of all trades and has made a memorable cinematic debut with A Single Man.

As George, Colin Firth is a ghost of a man, going through the motions on the day he has chosen to end his life. He is truly haunting. He is utterly tormented and heartbroken, but remains composed and calm. If I were George, I'd scream, cry, thrash. Firth plays him very controlled, having to suppress and hide his feelings, the way he must also do as a gay man. He is intense and reserved. He expresses so much with a slight tightening of his lips or a flicker of curiosity in his eye. He brings lightness and color to a world of beige, but he sees everything as beige. As an audience member, one wants to reach out, cup George's cheek and tell him everything is going to be alright. It takes an impeccable performance to arouse such reaction in an audience. Firth was masterful. He even purposely infused comedy into a potentially disturbing scene.

At first I didn't like Julianne Moore, but with careful reflection, I just didn't like her character. She was wonderful. She elicits pity though she is a pitiful and at times disgraceful woman. She has great chemistry with Firth. If Mo'Nique weren't such a sure thing at the Oscars, I'd think Julianne Moore were going to win. She is certainly long overdue.

A Single Man is photographed beautifully. I love when film's make a distinguishing use of color and A Single Man utilizes color in creative ways. Ford uses color to reflect George's mood and state of mind. Most of the film is photographed as if black and white were mixed together, with a little pink, light yellow and some brown: very dreary and lackluster, much like the way George feels. But when he has a memory or moment of clarity and happiness, the colors emerge and pop. The opening scene is also brilliant. What a way to make an entrance.

Ford designed George's world so perfectly: the look, feel, etc. are all posh and desirable. What a powerful reminder that things are not always as they seem and lives are never as charmed as one thinks.

A Single Man probably has one of the most devastating endings in recent memory. No question. My reaction was reminiscent of my viewing of The Pianist, I was completely numb. I couldn't cry, I couldn't talk. I could just sit there stunned, internally a wreck.

I am completely curious as to what Ford's next film will be, or if he'll even direct again. I certainly hope he does. He has found yet another calling and it would be a shame to lose a talented director. I hope he finds the right project. He has directed one of the greatest romantic tragedies of all time. A Single Man is a crowning achievement, it's impeccably designed and tailored. I have a feeling it will be overlooked come Oscar and that's a travesty. I cannot speak more highly of this film.

Steve Martin in It's Complicated

Yes, Meryl is a goddess. Yes, Alec stole the show. But I commend Martin for his roped in, understated, sympathetic and charming performance. He's exactly the kind of guy a woman who has been hurt wants to end up with. I never thought I'd say "Aww" over Steve Martin but the man won my heart. You were the extra special part of this comedy.


Netflix


Three Kings-Love Clooney. Love Wahlburg.
Defiance-Really wanna see it again. Hopefully I'll love it as much the second time.
Monsters, Inc-Netflix Instant. Yes, I still haven't seen this. Next, Finding Nemo.

No comments:

Post a Comment