Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009

Today is December 31st, 2009 is at it's end. Though there are still a couple movies that came this year that I need to see, I clearly won't be seeing them until next year, so I can't include them on my list of my favorite movies from 2009. It was really tough to put this list together. 2009 was a really unmemorable year for film. One of it's few shining moments, however, were the great debuts or star-making roles of the likes of Carey Mulligan, Anna Kendrick, Jeremy Renner, and Melanie Laurent.







Honorable mention #1. Star Trek
Best action movie of the year. Great infusion of comedy, best looking cast of the year.









Honorable mention #2. A Serious Man
Clearly a passion project for American auteurs, The Coen Brothers. Wonderful exploration of manhood, Jewish traditions, and the plight of being the chosen people.









10. The Ha
ngover
A fun, summer comedy that was perfectly cast and had a wonderful use of detail. The establishing shot of the hotel room the next morning is brilliant.









9. Where the Wil
d Things Are
A worthy adaptation of the classic book. Stunning visual effects, costume design, and great music.









8. Takin
g Woodstock
I don't know why I liked this movie so much. I enjoy Ang Lee, he creates wonderful characters and his films are meditations on unique points of view. This ensemble film was also well cast and made the great choice to not make a film about the music of Woodstock, but all the work that went into making the cultural event it was and still is.













7. The Hurt Locker

Powerful film. Didn't try to force audiences to take a side in the Iraq War debate. Brutally honest, with a couple exceptions of certain scenes that muddled the story and characters. Star making performances by Jeremy Renner and Anthony Mackie. Great cameos.








6. Fantastic Mr. Fox

Wes Anderson has completely redeemed himself after his film that shall not be named. Looks beautiful, actors completely match their characters. A joy to watch.








5. Up in the Air

Clooney at his best. Very, very sad. Almost left me hopeless. But I really enjoyed this. As Meg says, I only enjoy movies with sad endings.













4. District 9

A near perfect film. Wonderful debut for both director Neil Blomkamp and actor Sharlto Copley. Disturbing, grotesque, heartbreaking, and thought provoking. If I'd seen this movie by myself, I probably would've cried the whole time.







3. An Edu
cation
Carey Mulligan alone lands this film on my top ten list. What a revolutionary performance. This was one of the two films I really connected with this year. This British film had heart that so many American films lack.









2. Inglourious Basterds

Yet another incredible debut this year, this time for Christopher Waltz as a high ranking Nazi. By far one of the best male performances of the year, Waltz was electric and horrifying. Like so many Tarantino films, there's the right amount of seriousness, comedy, and ideas to be pondered deep into the night. Also, some of the most powerful and tense scenes on film this year.









1. (500) Days of Summer

After much consideration, I've decided this was my favorite film of 2009. A truly original story told in a unique and realistic way, wonderful and understandable performances from the leads, great music, (500) Days of Summer had it all.


What I still need to see: Up, Avatar, A Single Man, Moon, Invictus.

No comments:

Post a Comment