Monday, February 28, 2011

Bring Back Hugh.

Oscar Rundown

This year was just....wow. More lows than highs in the ceremony, chuckles instead of belly laughs and predictable winners made this year's telecast a snooze fest.

First the good.Predictable yet deserving winners. King Colin was crowned Best Actor (still think he should've won last year) for his moving performance in The King's Speech. Natalie Portman was awarded Best Actress for her physically, emotionally and psychologically demanding role in Black Swan. I found her speech to be very sweet and I got a little choked up. She's been one of my favorites for a long time so it was great to see her win for such a deserving performance. My husband won Best Supporting Actor. Very, very long overdue but there was no competition. Christian Bale owned that role. And now, Batman has an Oscar. Melissa Leo collected Best Supporting Actress for her infuriating performance in The Fighter. There were others I would've rather seen win and when they called her name I was ok. But dropping the F bomb? I don't care how excited you are, you're on television and Kirk Douglas is standing next to you.

The King's Speech took Best Picture which I was more than happy with. I had other favorites but the film was moving and told an incredible story that spread across many genres. The film also collected Best Original Screenplay. Inception swept special effects, cinematography and sound categories and rightfully so. I'm glad the film got something. The Social Network got Best Score and Best Adapted Screenplay. Aaron Sorkin's speech was not what I expected. The ego was curved and he seemed genuinely appreciative.

Biggest upset, Tom Hooper winning Best Director for The King's Speech. Should've been David Fincher. Creating and filming a story about the creation of a website and making it compelling and tense takes creativity and talent. The film was edgy and generation defining. I think in years to come this mistake will be acknowledged. Personally I think The Social Network got pretty robbed.

The bad.
The performances were shortened even more than usual! Randy Newman's acceptance speech were longer than the Mandy Moore/Zachary Levi and Florence Welch/A.R. Rahman performances.

There were some seriously unnecessary time wasters that included auto-tuned musicals and a "look" at the first Oscar telecast. To be fair, this may have been an excuse to bring out worthy host Billy Crystal.

Corey Haim omitted from the In Memoriam. This is something that irks me. If you're going to have an In Memoriam, then include everyone. Corey Haim was in the iconic The Lost Boys and Lucas. His passing deserves to be honored.

The ugly.I think we all know what the worst part of the night was. Marisa Tomei's dress? Wasted time acknowledging the renewed contract between the Oscars and ABC? False to both. James Franco and Anne Hathaway were just rotten. Hathaway seemed nervous and overcompensated with giggles and pretty outfits. She did the best she could with her poor material and less than stellar co-host. It's a shame because she is a stunning and talented woman. Franco was asleep with his eyes open. Their were comments about Franco's state of mind, if he was high and so on but I don't think people realize that that's probably how James Franco actually is. He's incredibly talented, but he's weird. The Academy should've known what they were getting into. The fact that he was nominated probably didn't help his state of mind; talk about nerves on top of nerves.

No. montages. Are you kidding? You want to appeal to a younger audience? We love montages! We didn't even get a teaser trailer of each nominated film throughout the night. I cry foul. This killed the ceremony for me. Two Oscars ago, they had these great montages of films from different genres like romance and comedy. It was amazing. People young and old eat that stuff up.

My advice, bring back the montages! Do something clever with presenters. Fozzie and I imagined reuniting famous movie couples or duos as presenters. That'd be great! And I think the title of this post speaks for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment