Thursday, April 15, 2010

One, two, Freddy's coming for you.

A Nightmare on Elm Street

I am a sucker for scary movies and it takes a lot scare me, even make me flinch. But A Nightmare on Elm Street has a way of totally creeping me out and making me use blankets to shield my eyes. A freaky story, a freaky lead, and slasher maestro Wes Craven created a hard to forget horror classic.

Sleep is absolutely essential. When one sleeps in a familiar place, one can feel relaxed and safe. If you have a bad dream, no worries, you'll wake up safe in your bed. Not the case with A Nightmare on Elm Street. What a perfect location to set a horror movie, our dreams! The film is original and creative, it scares you in a place you feel safe. The film similarly films the dreams and waking scenes, throwing the audience off balance, which furthers Craven's ability to scare the pants off the audience. The film balances fright and gore well, it never gets out of hand or silly. Craven seems to pick up where Halloween and Friday the 13th left off.

Robert Englund is just masterful as Freddy Krueger, one of cinemas greatest villains. He becomes a new type of bogeyman, not a silent and expressionless shape that hides in your closet. Englund throws his whole body into the role, with the creepy voice, sweeping arm movements and his utter brutality. Englund is shameless and Jackie Earle Haley has big shoes to fill.

One final thought on these classic slasher films, such as Halloween and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's a real shame studios decide to make sequel after sequel or remakes. These sequels especially get more and more ridiculous and the original film sometimes gets lost in the comedy of the sequels. I wish Hollywood would leave some things alone. We don't need Saw 25 or another sequel to the remake of Halloween. I know these films make money and this is why I wouldn't do well working for a studio, I care too much about artistic integrity, not the money.

Andy Serkis in King Kong

While he was great as Lumpy the cook, I'm praising him for his portrayal of King Kong. Serkis lived with gorillas, studying their physicalities and interactions. He brings the human out of the ape, and further narrows the differences between our animal relatives. He gains audience sympathy with just how human he makes Kong. Serkis is brilliant when he's on camera as a human or as a CGI creature.



Netflix


Minority Report-I saw some of this at cardio cinema and I really enjoyed it. But I'd like to see the beginning and ending.
The Informant!-I love Matt Damon.
Donnie Brasco-Netflix Instant. Who doesn't love a good mob film, especially with Johnny Depp and Al Pacino.

No comments:

Post a Comment