Sunday, March 7, 2010

Let's play an Oscar drinking game


Today is the Oscars. This is one of several days every year I look forward to consistently. It's like my super bowl. I'm really looking forward to seeing the clothes and the John Hughes tribute. Other than that, this year will MOST LIKELY be pretty boring.

This year, every thing has been pretty predictable. The same people/films have won consistently at pre-Oscar awards. Some deserved, some not (in my opinion). Jeff Bridges is a lock to win, mainly because people feel it's "his turn." I haven't seen Crazy Heart, so this isn't my place to make judgements, but the argument that it's "his turn" is bullshit. Just throwing that out there. Sandra Bullock will most likely win, not because she was the best this year, but because she tried something "new" and America loves her (myself included).

If everything goes the way I expect, this year affirms for me, that the Oscars don't matter that much. They are pretty superficial. It's still a huge honor and I still buy into them, but they aren't a great judge of a person's work. Some deserving men and women won't win tonight, because it's someone else's "turn." Some deserving men and women weren't nominated because they didn't campaign, which is ridiculous. Some deserving films weren't nominated simply because they were in non-traditional Oscar categories, like Star Trek, (500) Days of Summer, and Moon. (props to District 9 for repping sci-fi though, that was a shocker).

Okay, rant over. I'm still looking forward to enjoying the ceremony, laughing and crying. I'm not going to make a post about the winners, unless there is some shocking win, like if Colin Firth beats Jeff Bridges.

1 comment:

  1. The Oscars also don't necessarily mean that a person will get more work or better work. See Marlee Matlin, Cuba Gooding Jr., Kim Basinger. But I still love watching.

    ReplyDelete