Saturday, February 6, 2010

Part, fools! Put up your swords, you know not what you do.

Romeo & Juliet

In my initial viewing of Baz Luhrmann's take on one of Shakespeare's most famous plays, I've had a roller coaster relationship with this film. I think I compare it too closely with Zefferelli's beautiful 1968 version. Luhrman and Zefferelli had two different visions, so I should treat these as two different films. Luhrmann's version has it's weaknesses, but it's overall a worthy adaptation of one of Shakespeare's finest.

With the exception of one, Romeo & Juliet is impeccably cast. Leonardo DiCaprio brings the pretty boy looks and the immaturity essential to Romeo. DiCaprio's great at capturing the hormones and extreme emotions teenagers have, especially with "love" and sex. This is one of my favorite DiCaprio roles. He's an immensely talented actor and it's great to see him in this, when he was just transitioning to stardom. One of the most powerful moments of his performance is when Romeo goes after Tybalt. DiCaprio brings an animalistic, desperate rage we've rarely seen come out of him. It's like a switch was hit and DiCaprio was gone for a moment.

Harold Perrineau Jr is hypnotic. He brings mental instability and extreme loyalty to Mercutio, the play's best character. He delivers the immortal words confidently. He can jump from the jokster to deadly serious in an instant. I really, really, really love him in this role. His performance is my favorite in the whole film.

A vast improvement from Zefferelli's is the casting of John Leguizamo as Tybalt and Pete Postlethwaite as Friar Lawrence. Leguizamo takes his time with language and honors it in his delivery. He is chilling when he faces down Benvolio in the opening scene. He portrays Tybalt as more menacing and slick, as opposed to Michael York who just made Tybalt look like a punk. Postlethwaite gives Friar Lawrence more credibility, bravery and an overall intelligence. Milo O'Shea makes the Friar look like a buffoon.

No matter how many times I watch this movie, I can't see the positive in Claire Danes. She delivers almost every line the same, and I don't think she understands what she's saying. Her and Leo don't have the chemistry a Romeo & Juliet need. I feel like Leo was giving it his best and Danes was holding back. I think she's gotten some serious acting classes since this film.

Luhrmann wonderfully mixes the old dialect with a modern look. The use of guns makes the feud between the Montagues and Capulets seem much more senseless. The imagery, filming, and acting makes the language very easy to understand, especially for those less familiar with Shakespeare. The language does not get lost in the modernity.

The film is eye catching and bold. The cinematography is beautiful, especially in the sexy, underwater scenes. The colors explode, the music sets the tone perfectly. The costumes distinguish each family. The editing and direction is snappy and fast-paced.

The latest Shakespeare adaptation coming out is The Tempest. It's directed by Julie Taymor and has Helen Mirren as Prospera. I don't know how I feel about this alternative casting, but we will see. I think it's high time Kenneth Branagh do a new adaptation, maybe Measure for Measure or Macbeth.

Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side

Not gonna lie, Sandra Bullock was great. She's a ball busting, tough as nails Tennessee woman who rescues a kid from the streets. Bullock totally disappeared into the role, there were many moments where I forgot it was her. This role was different for Bullock, she's usually the cutesy, mildly awkward girl next door. I applaud her for changing it up and succeeding. Regardless, she does not deserve an Oscar for this. I think the Academy has Julia Roberts syndrome in this situation. Remember Erin Brockevich? Roberts was really good and it was a different role for her. But it wasn't the year's best. Sandra Bullock is in the same situation. Nonetheless, I still love Sandra and even though I don't think it's the right call, I'll be okay if she wins.

Netflix
The Lost Boys-I've never seen the whole thing, and I love vampires.
Funny Games-I saw the remake, didn't like it. Wonder how I'll feel about the original, by the same director.
Splendor in the Grass-Netflix Instant. I *love* Natalie Wood.

1 comment:

  1. Here is a link to more information about the genetics of Roberts Syndrome that was prepared by our genetic counselor and which has links to some useful resource for those dealing with this condition: http://www.accessdna.com/condition/Roberts_Syndrome/730. There is also a number listed for anyone who wants to speak to a genetic counselor by phone. I hope it helps. Thanks, AccessDNA

    ReplyDelete